Re: Dumb little utilities

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:59:28PM -0600, J. Scott Edwards wrote:

> I guess I was worried that they are so trivial that any of the real
> programmers on this list could recreate them in 5 minutes with sed, awk,
> and perl. :)
>
> But, well ok:
>
> little endian hex dump
May be interesting.

> tab and untab (I just discovered that this can be done with pr).
If it can be done with something else it might not be too necessary. It
is your choice though.

> find a file within a file
> duplicate file remover
> file renamer (that can change case).
> file slicer (that can slice up a file into different size chunks).
These tools can be really nice, especially in a nice package. :)

> display id3 tags in mp3 files
> remove id3 tags in mp3 files
> generate id3 tags from file name (probably not generally useful).
Could be packaged together. If there are plenty of those already packaged
it might not be necessary though.

> convert wave <--> raw audio files
> examine wave/raw audio files and print stats
> change amplitude of wave/raw audio files
> adjust lead in/lead out of wave/raw audio files
Could be packaged together too.

> There's a few others, but that is the general idea...

Regards,

// Ola