Re: How to get rid of non-free packers?

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:33:40AM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> At Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:01:15 +0300,
> Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> >    It's free to distribute on the network, but if you distribute for
> >    the people who cannot access the network (by magazine or CD-ROM),
> >    please send E-Mail (Inter-Net address) to the author before the
> >    distribution. That's well where this software is appeared.
> >    If you cannot do, you must send me the E-Mail later.
> >
> >  Original Source Code License Statement:
> >
> >    /*    Copyright (C) MCMLXXXIX Yooichi.Tagawa                      */
> >    /*    Modified                Nobutaka Watazaki                   */
> >    /*                   Thanks to H.Yoshizaki. (MS-DOS LHarc)        */
> >
> > ---- Clip here ----

Masanori, I do not know where you got this but this is memo by Tsugio.

Manual page seems to me the thorough license from the original authors.
Please consider the following for copyright section.  Many restrictions
for commercial use of modified code.

----
Permission is given for redistribution, copy, and modification provided
following conditions are met.

1. Do not remove copyright clause.
2. Distribution shall conform:
 a. The content of redistribution (i.e., source code, documentation,
    and reference guide for programmers) shall include original contents.
    If contents are modified, the document clearly indicating
    the fact of modification must be included.
 b. If LHa is redistributed with added values, you must put your best
    effort to include them (Translator comment: If read literally,
    original Japanese was unclear what "them" means here.  But
    undoubtedly this "them" means source code for the added value
    portion and this is a typical Japanese sloppy writing style to
    abbreviate as such)  Also the document clearly indicating that
    added value was added must be included.
 c. Binary only distribution is not allowed (including added value
    ones.)
3. You need to put effort to distribute the latest version (This is not
   your duty).

   NB: Distribution on Internet is free.  Please notify me by e-mail or
   other means prior to the distribution if distribution is done through
   non-Internet media (Magazine, CDROM etc.)  If not, make sure to Email
   me later.

4. Any damage caused by the existence and use of this program will not
   be compensated.

5. Author will not be responsible to correct errors even if program is
   defective.

6. This program, either as a part of this or as a whole of this, may be
   included into other programs.  In this case, that program is not LHa
   and can not call itself LHa.

7. For commercial use, in addition to above conditions, following
   condition needs to be met.

   a.  The program whose content is mainly this program can not be used
       commercially.
   b.  If the recipient of commercial use deems inappropriate as a
       program user, you must not distribute.
   c.  If used as a method for the installation, you must not force
       others to use this program.  In this case, commercial user will
       perform its work while taking full responsibility of its outcome
   d.  If added value is done under the commercial use by using this
       program, commercial user shall provide its support.

Boy, this license did not make much sense even in Japanese.  It get
worse with my English. (Maybe this was so bad Masanori may have skipped
translating this one.)

Here "commercial" may be interpreted as "for-fee".  "Added value" seems
to mean "feature enhancement".

> > I think, only way to get free unpacking software for LHA-files is to
> > negotiate with those Japanese persons. Here are some URL of Japanese
> > LHA-software:
> >
> > http://shibuya.cool.ne.jp/lha/
>
> I think it can be replaceable with below Tsugio's source.
>
> > http://www2m.biglobe.ne.jp/~dolphin/lha/lha.htm
>
> Debian package uses his (Tsugio's) source. It also can handle -lh7-
> format.  I already contacted with him, but his response were too slow
> (waited over 4 months, or more!), and he thought changing license was
> very difficult. LHa for unix was hacked by many people at least over
> 13 years, they have treated their license as "vague". Historical
> reason makes difficult to change their license.

It looks like Arai-san jca02266@nifty.ns.jp seems to be most active.
http://ns103.net/~arai is his URL

He has new autoconf version.

It looks to me people are treating almost like public domain as long as
New sources are available to general public.

Anyway, there is good amount of file format conventions written in
Tsugio's page.

        Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ also http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract