Re: How to get rid of non-free packers?

At Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:01:15 +0300,
Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
>    It's free to distribute on the network, but if you distribute for
>    the people who cannot access the network (by magazine or CD-ROM),
>    please send E-Mail (Inter-Net address) to the author before the
>    distribution. That's well where this software is appeard.
>    If you cannot do, you must send me the E-Mail later.
>
>  Original Source Code License Statement:
>
>    /*    Copyright (C) MCMLXXXIX Yooichi.Tagawa                      */
>    /*    Modified                Nobutaka Watazaki                   */
>    /*                   Thanks to H.Yoshizaki. (MS-DOS LHarc)        */
>
> ---- Clip here ----
>
> I think, only way to get free unpacking software for LHA-files is to
> negotiate with those Japanese persons. Here are some URL of Japanese
> LHA-software:
>
> http://shibuya.cool.ne.jp/lha/

I think it can be replacable with below Tsugio's source.

> http://www2m.biglobe.ne.jp/~dolphin/lha/lha.htm

Debian package uses his (Tsugio's) source. It also can handle -lh7-
format.  I already contacted with him, but his responce were too slow
(waited over 4 months, or more!), and he thought changing license was
very difficult. LHa for unix was hacked by many people at least over
13 years, they have treated thier license as "vague". Historical
reason makes diffcult to change their license.

> How about contacting authors of AmigaOS-versions of LHA?
>
> http://lha.warped.com/index.html
>
> Maybe they could release those sources under some free licence and then
> somebody could port them to Unix?

It seems good idea, but we have to make them push thier source as
public, and then port into unix... I don't know porting from amiga
into unix is easy issue or not.

At Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:51:59 +0300,
Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, +16:01:15 EEST (UTC +0300),
> Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@st.jyu.fi> pressed some keys:
>
> Wow! wotsit.org have some docs about archive file formats, too:
>
> http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?s=archive
>
> http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?page=2&s=archive
>
> Docs about format of LHA or LZH is here:
>
> http://www.osirusoft.com/joejared/lzhformat.html
>
> It has also some links to LHA-related WWW-pages.

We can get lha archive format information easily.

> I just got an idea: What if some old version of LHA has free enough
> licence, so somebody could could create better free LHA-software out of
> it? I mean that maybe somebody could do OpenSSH-like things with LHA.

I don't know there was DFSG-Free version in past.
Does anyone try to make free lha archiver?

-- gotom