Re: First experience with gcc-3.2 recompiles

Gerhard Tonn wrote:
> As I have told in another thread, I am currently rebuilding all packages
> depending on c++ on s390. All packages have been touched now. The results are:
>
> 406 packages have been built successfully
> 222 packages depend on other packages built with gcc-3.2
>        90 on qt libraries
>        12 on libsigc++
>          7 on gtkmm
>          9 on fltk
> 246 packages haven't been built successfully
>
> In most cases a compile error similar to
>
> default argument given for parameter 12 of ...
> after previous specification in ...
>
> occurs.
>
> The build logs of the packages can be found at
> http://people.debian.org/~gt/gcc-3.2_transition

I hate to say, but the list of failed packages needs to get
investigated a little bit, since not all failures seem to be GCC 3.2
and syntax related:

apt: failed with "debian/rules:20: build/environment.mak: No such file or directory"
gg: failed with "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg"
hylafax: failed because textfmt wasn't built[1]
latte: failed with "Your STL string implementation is unusable."
nana: failed with "make: dh_testdir: Command not found"
qnix: failed with "make: execvp: ./configure: Permission denied"

Finally, the seventh build log I viewed contained a real GCC 3.2 error:

/usr/include/c++/3.2/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning:
#warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated h
eader. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section
17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X>
header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of
the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this war ning use
-Wno-deprecated.

This looks like there is advice hidden in a manual and all maintainers
of the corresponding packages should be informed about upcoming
failures in their packages.

Willy, are you going to add this to the transition propsal?

Regards,

	Joey

 1. I seem to remember to stomp over such a problem in one of our most
    recent security builds.

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!