Re: RFC: OpenLDAP and TLS/SSL

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:13:47PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Now, apps often want libsasl2.  ldap uses libsasl1.  nss segfaults. It is
> the same libdb2/libdb3 hell we had a while back.

This sounds very similar to breakage that can occur when with
MIT vs Heimdal libraries.

eg. if ssh-krb5 (which is compiled against MIT kerberos) is told to use
libpam-heimdal, the result is a segmentation fault.

> The proper fix is to have libsasl with versioned symbols, libldap with
> versioned symbols (so that we don't go all over the same problem when
> libldap gets updated -- right now the problem is sasl, not libldap).

How do you do this?

Sam Hartman thought there were issues on some architectures when the
libdb issue was resolved, and it wasn't simply a matter of just using
versioned symbols.

Maybe this is related to bug #140490?

Changing to versioned symbols would also break every binrary
already around too, I am not sure how to solve this issue.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>