Re: RFC: OpenLDAP and TLS/SSL

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Panu A Kalliokoski wrote:
> If "versioned symbols" means including the versions of the dependencies
> in the SONAME, the biggest drawback I see is that it using it will

Nothing of the sort. It stores the soname of the library along with its
symbols, which then become known as soname + symbol.  Dependencies are not
in the scope at all.

> In the sense of "being a widely-adopted standard", versioned symbols are
> *not* here now.

No, they are not, except where the breakage is so bad even RedHat and the
other vendors can't ignore them with an straight face.  That means libc
(upstream does it), and I believe we (Debian) forced down their throats
versioning for libdb2 and libdb3 as well.

  Henrique Holschuh