Re: How to transition to G++ 3.2 wthout any breakage

> > > No, they are not, as long as there are dependency problems, and as long
> > > as we keep a bug "G++ 3.2 transition incomplete" open...
> > > There are -nice- and -tested- methods to do such things.
> > That works as long as user only install Debian packages, but obviously
> > doesn't work for non-Debian ones.
>
> If they use proper dependencies it works just fine. They can't be
> installed unless they fit to the system. That is the ONLY correct thing.
Correctly installing them is much better than declaring them
uninstallable.

> If they install stuff by hand, your automatic wrapper generation and
> library moving will not help either.
> If you want to fix alienated rpm's - do that in alien.
They help if I install packages that want to put libraries in the wrong
directory, including all existing library packages that don't know about
/usr/lib/g++-2.

> > > No, the transition worked fine. The disaster is not the way Debian gtk2
> > > migrated, but the library itself.
> > No, it is in the fact the neither the library authors nor Debian fixed
> > the problem.
>
> Which is completely separte from the correct way to package these
> things, and that is what we are talking about... the libpng issues
> cannot be solved by a dpkg hack!
No, dpkg hacks solve the problem of two files trying to be in the same
place.

> They did not solve the libpng problem (which is not to be solved by
> debian, but by upstream and all distributions _together_) but they set
> the dependencies correctly, so packages don't break. Without a hack.
> Which is great.
Debian can solve it by releasing a version of GTK+ 2.0 that works with
binaries that use libpng2 and also with ones that use libpng3 or, if
that is not possible, at least releasing a distribution (i.e. dynamic
loader + GTK+) that achieves this goal.

> We don't have any v3 binaries yet. So where is the problem?
> The maintainers could include proper wrappers for them. that is better
> than doing some automatic wrappers...
What?!
Including duplicated crap in *lots* of packages is better than a central
fix?
How about non-Debian packages?
You can see the result of this mindset in the /usr/doc transition.
If rather than having packages/debhelper do the transition themselves,
dpkg was modified, it would have been done in at most a week.
The work required to create packages should be reduced, not increased.

> You could even use alternatives to switch from default-is-v2 to
> default-is-v3 and remove all wrappers at once, when you modified your
> library paths... No hack needed for that either.
And how do you easily run from the command line both a v2 ABI program
and a v3 ABI one without needing to know about the issue?

> Don't take stuff unnecessarily out of control of maintainers. Many apps
> use wrappers already, why force them to use another wrapper. You'll
> break LOTs of things. For example mozilla does use some wrapper to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly... your automatic wrapper generation will
> maybe not work, and if it does it's definitely inferior to having the
> maintainer do a proper wrapper himself...
Yes, you are right. Modifying the dynamic linker is much better.