Re: Linux Fonts

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 09:07:47AM -0700, Dustin Mofos wrote:
> Sorry, what I think of as a full character set is
> defineatly not what someone else might think of as a
> full set (I only have experience with english text)..
> As far as the characters you mentioned specifically
> they should be there,  in fact I can see them using
> Dustismo right now (except for ?? which I have no idea
> what they are).  Thanks much for the link,  I can see
> now that I am missing a great deal of characters.

not speaking about CJK characters :-)

> > Also cyrillic and Greek seems to be bolder than
> > latin part
>
> Could you explain this further?  possible send me a
> screenshot of what you are seeing?

That was my mistake - obviously Opera likes to substitute
another font for cyrillic and greek, so these glyphs came from
some other font.

Anyway, I put a screenshot in
http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/junk/dustimo.png
I had not turned on antialiasing, which is probably responsible for
low quality of displayed glyphs (in particular, notice glyphs for l,z,n).
For comparision, see
http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/junk/lynx.png
which is the same page rendered in lynx/xterm, using default
fixed width misc-fixed-* X11 fonts.

The reason why I am so interested in missing glyphs is that there
was a discussion on debian-devel recently about lack of
free high quality variable width font. Dustimo could become
base of such a font, if it covered at least MES-2 repertoire (maybe
without Georgian and Armenian characters for the beginning).
Adding CJK characters would require much greater effort.