Re: Move to python 2.2 as default release?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:28:53PM -0400, Jim Penny wrote:
> > Laura: (and Guido et al.)
> > Debian plans to support at least Python 2.2 and 2.3 in the next
> > release (sarge); [...]
> One final point.  We will almost definitely not switch the default
> python in sid (current unstable), until there is talk that Sarge is
> nearing a freeze.

*Beepbeepbeepbeep* Bad idea!

We're aiming for *short* freezes, which means we'll be saying something
like "Okay, everything's in place, so please stop making major changes
now. You've got about a month to finish off ones that've already started,
and you won't have more than about another month to fix any bugs you
find".

Which means that if you try this you'll almost certainly get a "No,
it's too late to do that for sarge." if you leave things that late.

> Moreover, we would not recommend that the target audience of
> Python-in-a-Tie run sid.

However it's not unreasonable for the target audience of Python-in-a-Tie
to run sarge while it's still testing. Indeed, that's a good thing,
since it'll help iron out any bugs we may have before we decide to stop
making any changes.

In short: you get to decide what sarge-as-stable will look like *now*. If
you choose not to do that, you probably won't get to make a decision. If
your want your fallback position to be "python 2.2 as default", then
you need to get that prepared sooner, not later.

Cheers,
_/\_ <-- Debian release manager hat
 aj