Re: Move to python 2.2 as default release?

On Aug 14, Laura Creighton wrote:
> The new Python Business Forum (www.python-in-business.com) is
> collaborating with the Python developers to produce Python-in-a-Tie,
> a business-targetted release of Python.  This is a 'Sumo-Release',
> which will include other useful Python libraries and programs which
> are not part of the standard Python releases. What we want is a release we
> tell our cyustomers to run which will give them 18 months or so
> during which there is no need for them, as users, not developers, to
> upgrade a to a newer version of Python.  Then we will target a next
> release, and to be the next Python-in-a-Tie.  I am the Chairman of
> the Python-in-a-Tie SIG, and the Python-in-a-Tie release is going
> to be based on 2.2, not 2.1 or 2.3.  Thus 2.2 is the release which
> we are telling Python developers is the release which they should
> write for.  Therefore I think that skipping the 2.2 release in
> favour of the 2.3 would be a mistake.
>
> Please cc any discussion and replies to me since I do not read
> debian-devel.  Thanks very much,

Laura: (and Guido et al.)

Debian plans to support at least Python 2.2 and 2.3 in the next
release (sarge); unlike other distributors, we do not have a problem
with making multiple Python versions available so long as they are
useful.  If you need to target a specific release of Python
(i.e. 2.2), you should use #!/usr/bin/env python2.2.

However, the *default* Python shipped by Debian (i.e. /usr/bin/python)
affects things within our distribution, and there may be wins for us
basing on 2.3 rather than 2.2 (the "enumerate" builtin being an
obvious, immediate example; universal newline support may also be
important).

Now, if 2.3 won't be stable until well into next year (as opposed to
the schedule in PEP 283), then we may want to target 2.2.x as our
default version.  This is something that largely depends on our
anticipated release schedule - which is not very calendar driven, but
"Q2 2003" is less likely to make sarge than "Q4 2002".

(Note that debian-python is probably the most appropriate list for