Re: Large file support?

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 09:54:49AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> The problem doesn't involve glibc. It has been compiled with LFS support
> since way back in early woody development. The only thing the packages
> need to do is to properly compile against this support (See Glibc FAQ),

Which part?  Which file?  I'm looking at /usr/share/doc/libc6/FAQ.gz
and I see nothing about LFS in there.

> Hundres of packages are already compiled this way. PostgreSQL is surely
> behind the times on this one.

Hundreds of packages is still a tiny part of Debian.  If we want broad
support for this, then I think there should be a single, well publicised,
short explanation about it.

Do programs which use only the stdio interface automatically have
large file support?  Should I be grepping my packages for use of off_t?

(Sending a 3 GB attachment is going to be rare, but if someone wants
to do it, I don't know if mpack is ready for it.)

--
Richard Braakman
"I sense a disturbance in the force"