Re: Large file support?

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:42:04PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:02:48PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> >> The question has been raised of large file support in PostgreSQL.  This
> >> would be especially useful for pg_dump, which on a very large database
> >> could easily write a file larger than 2Gb.
>
> >> I've checked the glibc and kernel docs, but I cannot be sure from those
> >> whether it is safe to turn on large file support for the binary
> >> packages.  Will it work with any kernel? or will it break when run with
> >> an older kernel?
>
> > This is pretty much a non-issue since libc6 has recently dropped
> > support for 2.0 kernels anyway.
>
> This does not solve the issue, LFS requires 2.4 or a patched 2.2
> Kernel.
> http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

The problem doesn't involve glibc. It has been compiled with LFS support
since way back in early woody development. The only thing the packages
need to do is to properly compile against this support (See Glibc FAQ),
and the user to be running a 2.4.x kernel. If done properly, the
packages still work even with 2.2.x kernels, just not being able to use
LFS.

Hundres of packages are already compiled this way. PostgreSQL is surely
behind the times on this one.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/