Re: How will Debian someday remove ports of obsolete hardware?

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 09:36:42PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > As long as at least one person puts in enough work to keep an port
> > uptodate theres no reason to stop supporting that port.
>
> Well that's just a silly statement. Gigabytes of mirror space and
> bandwidth ought to benefit more than a single lunatic, or we're wasting
> our sponsors' resources.

Whats the ratio between lunatics and users in such a case?

Would the last living user of an arch be using and maintaining his own
debian?

Would he be able to cope with current kernel and software?

The hardware requirements just keep rising. At some point it just
won't be feasable to keep uptodate anymore. And I think that will be
way before we have only one lunatic for an architecture.

By that time they will split up and build a debian-arch-mini or
something.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Who would mirror an arch with only one lunatic using it? The logs
would show the ports to be not needed and mirroring would stop (or how
do mirrors determine what to mirror?). And harddisk space is cheap.