Re: data section: any movement forward?

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Just wondering if anyone has the creation of the proposed data section
> on their eventual TO-DO list for the Debain archive, or if any resources
> are required to make that happen.
>
> I've got a 38 MB package candidate that would be suitable for such a
> section if it existed.

I think that this is complete madness. But it depends a lot on
what's provided.

What I usually recommend to people willing to provide such a huge
mass of data, is not to include the data in the package but rather
to prompt the user whether to download them at install time or
later. Then, the package manages to download them from the original
location and installs them in a proper place.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org