Re: lock files, devfs, mgetty and pppd.

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 00:57, Brian May wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 11:00:55AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > That would work --- otherwise it's time to tweak the source on one or
> > both.  Looks to me like mgetty's at fault here.
> >
> > Your best bet is to submit a bug against mgetty.
>
> However, is it really mgetty at "fault" here?
>
> Minicom does it the same way...
>
> (the way pppd does things does look nicer though...)

Well, given that if one imagines that we have devices of called:

  /dev/aaa/0
and
  /dev/bbb/0

the mgetty approach will break, whereas the pppd one will not.

That's good enough for me --- needs to be stated in policy too though,
so if it's not already specified, a bug against debian-policy is also
probably in order.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/