Re: lock files, devfs, mgetty and pppd.

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 01:57, Brian May wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 11:00:55AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > That would work --- otherwise it's time to tweak the source on one or
> > both.  Looks to me like mgetty's at fault here.
> >
> > Your best bet is to submit a bug against mgetty.
>
> However, is it really mgetty at "fault" here?
>
> Minicom does it the same way...
>
> (the way pppd does things does look nicer though...)

When this code was first put in ppp the Stallion device names were
/dev/tte/0... and the Cyclades device names were /dev/ttc/0... which would
result in a conflict with machines having more than one type of serial port.

The new devfs standard of /dev/tts/E0 and /dev/tts/C0 solves this, but has
not been applied to USB devices last time I checked.  So the problem still
occurs if you mix USB and non-USB serial devices on a devfs system with
mgetty.

mgetty and minicom should be made to operate like ppp.