Re: lock files, devfs, mgetty and pppd.

Looks like a bug in mgetty....or a clever (non-standard) bit in ppp.
Interestingly enough, both are maintained by the same fellow.

I thought that there was a library to handle this but on looking at
liblockfile-dev, it appears not to specify a standard behavior.

While this isn't kosher, you may hav success if you use a link

  ln -s /dev/tts/0 /dev/tts_0

and make mgetty use it until the problem is sorted out.  If this is
what you mean by using non-devfs device names then the answer is
probably no.