Re: *term -ls, a summary

>>"Manfred" == Manfred Wassmann <debian-devel@NCC-1701.B.Shuttle.de> writes:

 Manfred> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Clint Adams wrote:
 >> > Why?  Opening an xterm for interacting directly with a shell is IMHO
 >> > functionally the same as opening an VC.  And I am really pissed off if
 >> > I don't get a login shell and the profiles aren't sourced.  It's different
 >> > of course if you open the xterm to run a program which is not a shell.
 >>
 >> In what situations, then, do you have/want an interactive shell that is
 >> not a login shell?

 Manfred> Generally you don't.

	Wong. Generally I do.

	Login shells are special -- and they are used to do things
 once per session, for me. I do not need to do them 20 times if I have
 20 xterms open.

	Removing the distinction would break correctly configured user
 environments, and would constitute, in my opinion, an important bug,
 since information is lost when one can no longer distinguish between
 a login xterm and a shell session that is not the session leader.

	manoj
--
 Drinking coffee for instant relaxation?  That's like drinking alcohol
 for instant motor skills. Marc Price