Re: RFC init.d actions [force-]reload and non-running programs

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > it is not, it can eighter start it or leave it stopped. Most scripts do the
> > first.
>
> Only starting is not restarting, but starting. Leaving it stopped means

Yes, restarting is indeed the same as starting as long as something is
stopped in the first place. That's how it is defined for init scripts (even
if it certainly is not so in proper English).

We should clarify policy, then. And file bugs against all packages that
implement force-reload incorrectly, or do not implement it (since
implementation of force-reload is mandatory).

I will *gladly* second, or even propose such change. It kills the need for a
'maybe-restart' thing.

  Henrique Holschuh