Re: DebConf 2 post-mortem

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 05:50, Adam F. Rogoyski wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Simon Law wrote:
> > 	I think that having meetings during the summer in Canada has
> > many advantages, including slightly cooler weather.  Plus, the political
> > climate in the U.S. is still too unstable for my liking.  I'll go down
> > there when people in high places start calming down a bit.
>
>    We just had debconf in a city that had a mass public work stoppage with
> garbage piling up in the streets all over the city.  We just had the
> conference in a city covered completely by wild fire smoke.  We just had

Toronto was far from "completely covered by wild fire smoke", I smelt smoke
on one occasion.  I suspect that Denver had more smoke than Toronto...

The garbage was a PITA, but they have unions in the US too.

> debconf in a country that has over twice as many soldiers per capita
> fighting than the US.

I've never seen the Canadian PM declaring war on terrorists or drug
users/smugglers.  The Canadian government isn't planning to invade the
Netherlands if their soldiers go on trial for war crimes.

Read any news report about terrorism or other international conflict, try and
find a reference to Canada, it won't be easy.  Then try and find a reference
to some such situation that does not involve the US.

>    None of these stopped me from going to Toronto.  I would hope people
> would similarly be objective when choosing the next city should it be
> decided to be in North America.

I think that all decisions are being quite objective.  Also there's nothing
stopping you from having another DebConf in another location.