Re: DebConf 2 post-mortem

On Jul 10, Scott Dier wrote:
> * Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> [020710 15:37]:
> > I think the larger issue - that YorkU was pretty isolated from the
> > rest of the universe - shouldn't be overlooked, particularly since the
>
> /me notes that himself and 3 others are willing to assist in whatever
> debconf happens to be in the USA if its in minneapolis.
>
> I polled some local geeks way back when, but killed the idea most after
> a couple people were unhappy with holding anything in the USA.

My gut feeling is that we should have geographic diversity in where we
hold DebConf, so people have the opportunity to attend the conference
who can't travel huge distances on a semi-regular basis.  This
requires more frequent meetings (probably two per year IMHO) and a bit
of moving around.  For example, Vancouver or Portland would be a good
place for the next North American conference, since they are on the
west coast; next time we're in Europe, perhaps somewhere like Hungary
or the Czech Republic would be a good change-of-pace from France.  If
the Debian mini-conference at linux.conf.au becomes a regular thing,
perhaps alternating between Europe and North America for the July
conference is appropriate; if not, Australia/SE Asia probably should
be added to the rotation.

On the same token, I don't think short-sighted political posturing
should determine the location of DebConf; I certainly can cite all
sorts of draconian laws in virtually every country in the world that
any developer could probably be arrested for violating if someone were
bored enough to enforce them, and nobody's ever made a convincing
argument to me that if $EVIL_CORPORATION wanted $DEVELOPER in jail
they'd particularly care where he was at the time.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765