Re: Linux Fonts

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:26:33AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:16:30PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:58:22PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > > Uh, he's the Copyright holder.  He can do whatever the hell he wants.
> >
> > Yes you can, of course. But not compatible to the GPL. You would need to
> > write your own license.

> But am I allowed to write my own license and copy there verbatim
> (maybe a bit modified) pieces of GPL? (something which I already
> did once). That's the question that really interests me...

Regardless of whether it is legal for you to do this, the fact that you
are asking debian-devel for an opinion on the legality tells me that
it's best for you to NOT do this.  The GPL is an established license,
carefully crafted by lawyers with years of experience in copyright law,
and constantly under scrutiny.  Unless you are also a lawyer with years
of experience, you are probably doing yourself a disservice by creating
a new license.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer