Re: possible start of mass bug reports (was: libtool cruft in .la files in /usr/lib)

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:40:59AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> enrico@debian.org wrote on Mon Jul 01, 2002 um 06:07:58PM:
>
> > If you try to do a "grep debian /usr/lib/*.la", you'll find that some
> > libraries point to the directory they were installed to by the make
> > install command in debian/rules.  Some of such libs are libkaffevm.la,
> > liblber.la libldap.la, libldap_r.la, libmng.la, libpaper.la and others.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >  1) Should this thing be reported as a bug?
>
> Imho yes. Independent of your mail, I just filed a bug against libarts,
> since having .la files in the library runtime packages makes different
> versions not installable at the same time. See #152485, see below.

Perhaps you should read policy.

  Packages that use `libtool' to create shared libraries should include
  the `.la' files in the `-dev' package, unless the package relies on
  `libtool''s `libltdl' library, in which case the `.la' files must go
  in the run-time library package.

The .la files _are_ needed by libarts and several other kde packages.
Some of the other packages you listed in the other email might not
actually need the .la files in runtime though.

Chris