Re: DebConf 2 post-mortem

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> writes:

> Other comments:
>
> - We needed official, sanctioned Internet access in the conference
> facilities.  Patching together a WLAN with PCMCIA cards in ad-hoc mode
> and hoping it works is not an acceptable procedure, particularly since
> apparently the WLAN couldn't even cover the entire auditorium (by
> contrast, a $120 WAP should have covered the building).

I still don't see what is so important about this.  I don't have a
laptop myself, and although it would have been nice to have one, I
didn't feel that I lost anything because I didn't.

> - Corrollary: we needed official, sanctioned Internet access in the
> housing area.  Less that the organizers could do about this, but still...

Having Internet access in the housing area I can see as being useful,
though.  That would have been nice (for those that had laptops,
anyway).  Although I enjoyed the non conference social time very much
as well as I spent time with the other conference goers.

> - Housing in general was less than satisfactory.  I realize this is a
> dorm, and the price was right (particularly after multiplying by 2/3),
> but I found the conditions to be bordering on squalid.

I don't know if it's because I've seen other student residences but I
thought the rooms were very nice.  But maybe my expectations were not
that high.

> - Would it be more practical to hitch DebConf to other developer
> events?  For example, should we organize a "Debian track" at OLS
> (since the "main conference" seems to be moving to a "kernel track"
> type of situation)?

This might bring in more people but I think the attendance was fairly
good.  I have not been to other conferences though (such as OLS) and
it probably doesn't compare to OLS.  But the size of the conference
was just right for such a short period of time.  I still didn't have
time to at least shake hands with everyone there.

Ryan

--
Ryan Golbeck <rmgolbeck@uwaterloo.ca>
GPG: 1024D/78916B84 -- 1B1B 2A87 3F00 A7FB 40F3  526D 36CF BA44 7891 6B84