Re: NEWS.Debian files

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 02:54:04PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> This sounds exactly backwards.  The NEWS file should give brief, important
> notices, while the changelog verbosely describes changes.

I think that the format of the two files is sufficiently different that
it doesn't make sense to include the NEWS text within the changelog.
The changelog should be a consise list of all the changes since the
previous version (the granularity of the list is up to the maintainer,
of course).  The NEWS file, OTOH, should be in prose form.  It gives the
maintainer an opportunity to explain the ramifications of changes in the
package, warn the user or sysadmin in the even that something big has
changed, and explain how to cope with it.

I like this idea a lot, but I don't think it should be merged with the
changelog.  The changelog should simply list changes; the NEWS file
should tell users what behavioral changes they can expect as a result of
these changes.

noah