Re: NEWS.Debian files

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 01:24:19PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I think that this need would be adequately met by suggesting that news items
> be placed ahead of other changelog entries, and clearly marked.  This is the
> kind of thing that should be done anyway in a proper changelog.  That way,
> we have the best of both worlds in the same file.  People (like me) who are
> used to reading the changelog don't have to look in two places, and people
> who only want the news can have that as well.

I'm not sure that this is such a good idea.  What I personally look for
in a changelog and a NEWS file are very different things.  The changelog
should be a very brief overview of what has changed, not going into any
great detail about the changes themselves.  A NEWS file ought to be much
more verbose, explaining things in more detail and giving any procedures
required to handle incompatible changes.