Re: Unparsable gcc version string? [WAS: lily 1.4.15]

wichert@wiggy.net writes:
> Previously Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > I think maybe someone should file a bug to the Debian gcc package.
> > LilyPond will not be the only package to verify the version of the
> > compiler.
>
> Why would you want to anyway? Check for specific compiler features
> using proper autoconf tests instead.

It's because that makes a lot more sense for users. Checking for
compiler versions allows us to say from the configure script:

	 You need G++ version 2.95 to compile LilyPond (found: G++
	 	 2.7.2)

That's a lot more informative for users than

         Error: your C++ compiler does not support dynamic type casts.
		Cannot compile LilyPond.

The 2nd type of message gives us more support trouble because people
will write to our ML asking what to do next.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   hanwen@cs.uu.nl    | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/