Re: Naming of apt sources on CDs

In linux.debian.devel, you wrote:

> The woody CD images [1] write stable as dist in the /etc/apt/sources.list
> and that does work well unless you do not try to switch to installing
> from any Debian ftp mirror in the world.
>
> Afer that switch, it is tried to install from stable which is not the
> best as long as woody is not stable yet :-(.
>
> So I would propose to not put any stable/testing statements in
> any of the CDs so these problems which would occur at _any_
> freeze do not.

I ran into the same problem last weekend, and your proposal has
been discussed at length in the past few days.  I read the
entire thread, and I don't think it's "a good thing" to have a
woody install pointing to potato packages by default.  As you
noted below, it requires that the user know he has to edit
/etc/apt/sources.list.

> I know that I should look in /etc/apt/sources.list after
> installation and selecting the apt source but the problem is,
> that this not really is obvious and some people are installing
> packages from potato if they want to have potato packages.

I re-installed several times thinking I was using the wrong
floppy images before I finally gave up and asked what to do
about the wrong packages being fetched.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What I want to find
                                  at               out is -- do parrots know