Re: Little things make the initial install experience painful

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:16:49PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Each time debconf is made to ask if a file should be "managed by
> debconf", a fairy dies.
>
> There are better ways for the non-terminally-lazy. Read
> debconf-devel(8).

I object to this characterization.

I read debconf-devel(8), specifically:

ADVANCED PROGRAMING WITH DEBCONF
   Config file handling

I thought we weren't supposed to "use debconf as a registry"?  Some
people will get mighty pissed if you use debconf as a registry and stomp
on their config file.  The config file is supposed to trump the debconf
database, not the other way around.  Your example is completely
unconditional.  The postinst just whaps the config file without so much
as a by-your-leave.

As you may have heard, 4.2.0 packages are currently in experimental
pre-release.  Now is a perfect time to offer me feedback on how you'd
like to see XFree86's usage of debconf change.  Hint, hint.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he