Re: announcing apt-src

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 02:05:08PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how do you see this fitting in w/ kernel source
> trees, make-kpkg, and the various kernel patch/modules/etc?  I'm not a big
> fan of make-kpkg; dh_kpatches, otoh, is quite convenient from a packager's
> point of view, but not an end user's.

Eh?  What could be easier than make-kpkg --added-patches foo?[1]  Kernel
patches are now easy for both developer (thanks to dh-kpatches) and user.

Modules, on the other hand, continue to be a pain for developers, though
easy for users.

> From your description, it sounds like apt-src should be able to manage
> kernel source trees nicely, and w/ a few feature additions for kernel
> patches, modules, and perhaps even some sort of debconf interface which
> calls hardware detection packages to provide a list of hardware... ack,
> I'm getting carried away. :)

I would be satisfied if it simply eliminated the need to create binary
source-packages for kernel modules, and would just build them from the
source packages.

The trick would be to make it possible to build kernel modules and regular
binary packages from a single source package.  However, I would still be
happy if they had to be separate (with identical .orig tarballs).

[1] assuming PATCH_THE_KERNEL=AUTO

--
 - mdz