Re: Mailman Permission problem?`

Sorry about writing it into a wrong thread and thanks for the reply.
OK. Let me explain it one more time.

Step 1 : add newlist to the mailman.
Step 2 : update the alias and the mailman configuration
Step 3 : update the configuration from the web interface---- Problem 1
permission is not world readable and when I change the 'www-data'
group und 'list' group that still didn't seem to work. Not sure about the problem.
so for debuging I chmod it to 666 and it updated the file to 'www-data'
and 660 mod for any web interface update action.
will fail on the permission  /var/lib/mailman/lists/listname/config.db
deny. For debugging I chmod it to 666 again. It updated back to list 660
and the mail will go throught. is there something wrong that I'm doing
here?

By the way for sendmail to run the ""|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post xxxxx"
nowaday , you have to put a link in the /usr/lib/sm.bin for it to work.
e.g. in /usr/lib/sm.bin/wrapper ----> /usr/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper

I hope that explain a little.

In my understanding of the question,
Problem1 I'm not sure how www-data would able to update the config.db
without changing the ownership. I try to read the python code
it didn't seem to specifly changing the ownership. I just read in the file and
update while it need to.  Dont know you can work out some workaround,
or it is only me seeing this problem?

Problem 2 I think sendmail have something to do with it. But I still think
add 'list' and 'www-data' and 'mail' to each other groups should do that
trick... but I'm not sure that's right.
Thanks

Tollef Fog Heen :

* Alex Lau
| Anyone is also using mailman 2.0.11-2 (sid)? with sendmail, Both
| change the premission /var/lib/mailman/lists/listname/config.db on
| file.  somehow everytime web rewrite it.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here; if you add a new
member the ownership of /var/lib/mailman/lists/$listname/config.db is
changed to www-data?

I don't use sendmail myself, so if the problem is with sendmail, I'd
require some help to debug it.