Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:30:37PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > I also just realized I forgot to include libtool's files in that list.  I
> > suspect though that my point is proven.
>
> Hmm, I have little experience with libtool, but unless it is evil incarnate,
> it should not force you to have autoconf and automake to work. Heck, it
> should not force you even to have libtool around, to work, I am told...

It is both the case that libtool is evil incarnate and that it can be made
to work without rerunning autothings (provided its files are in synch with
everything else..)

> > non-hackish solution, but can't be bothered to fix dpkg so the disgusting
> > hack isn't necessary?
>
> It is fixed in 1.10. I hope we get that into Debian soon (i.e. that woody
> ships soon, and we thaw).

New features of 1.10 will not be allowed in packages until after sarge (or
whatever it gets called) is released.  Not even in source packages, as has
been allowed in the past.  So hath doogie spoken.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>      Available in cherry and grape

<SirDibos> does Johnie Ingram hang out here on IRC?