Re: The automake issue, and why crippling 1.6 is a bad plan

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 05:39:02PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > Lots of packages need to make changes to configure.in, I have to make
> > > changes to the one in SDL, for example.
> >
> > Then read /usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.
> >
> > Ignorance is not an excuse anymore, go fix the package. Get the
> > cyrus21-imapd source package if you need any help. Hint: cyrus builds
> > straight from CVS, using cvs-buildpackage, and it still manages to generate
> > configure only once, and not bother the users, nor build-depend on autoconf.
> Those who would call others ignorant should first be not so themselves.

Right. So I won't accuse anyone of being ignorant.

> The configure.in shipped with SDL upstream causes lintian errors about
> things which have been a violation of policy at least as far back as I can
> remember.  My package fixes this in configure.in and then regenerates the
> build scripts.

You said the magic word.

They are _scripts_. That means you can put them in the diff, and generate
them while building your _source_ package. No need to build
configure-scripts as part of building your binary package.

> This is not an accident or an artifact of dpkg-source,
> it's an intentional act performed to comply with Debian's policy,

State me the part of policy that requires you to regenerate your
configure-script as part of 'debian/rules binary', please?

> the one
> thing that keeps some people using Debian despite all of the bullshit we
> have seen come out of places like this list over the past year or so.
> I refuse to defy Debian policy because you don't like build-deps on
> autoconf and automake.

He's right to not like it. It's a mess.

If you're concerned about automake trying to regenerate configure and
friends because patch doesn't care about timestamps, then 'man touch' is
your friend.

wouter at grep dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"