woody installation bug

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:04:09AM +0000, Wilmer van der
Gaast wrote:

> Thomas E. Vaughan@lists.debian-devel@12 Jun 2002 12:15:07
> -0600:
> >
> > If only I could get that strategy to work with my PCMCIA
> > ethernet card.
>
> With 6 disks (rescue, root and 4x driver) that should be
> possible.

Of course it should, but, as I explained in a different
thread recently, it doesn't for me.  The kernel locks up
just after it tries to muck with the ethernet card's
transceiver.  I can get the network install going by lying
to the install program (after having turned on PCMCIA
support instead of configuring regular device driver
modules) about whether my ethernet card is PCMCIA.  If I
claim that it is not, then the net config process doesn't
try to mess with the transceiver.

The first reboot works well enough, but after I edit
sources.list and upgrade to full woody, then I get a kernel
lockup on subsequent reboots at the point of enabling
PCMCIA.

I suppose that I should file a bug report.  Would it be
against the boot-floppies, PCMCIA, or what?

--
Thomas E. Vaughan   (303) 939-6386   Ball Aerospace, Boulder
   Ball-internal home page: <http://hypostasis/~tevaugha>