Re: woody installation bug

Hi,

I had somewhat similar experience with PCMCIA on Toshiba notebook.
But you may want to chack few more things before filing bug.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 06:43:35AM -0600, Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:04:09AM +0000, Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
> >
> > Thomas E. Vaughan@lists.debian-devel@12 Jun 2002 12:15:07 -0600:
> > > If only I could get that strategy to work with my PCMCIA ethernet
> > > card.
> >
> > With 6 disks (rescue, root and 4x driver) that should be possible.

That's when PCMCIA initialization works flawlessly. Few case can cause
this.  (Mine was irq conflict)

> Of course it should, but, as I explained in a different thread
> recently, it doesn't for me.  The kernel locks up just after it tries
> to muck with the ethernet card's transceiver.  I can get the network
> install going by lying to the install program (after having turned on
> PCMCIA support instead of configuring regular device driver modules)
> about whether my ethernet card is PCMCIA.  If I claim that it is not,
> then the net config process doesn't try to mess with the transceiver.

I have hard time following but this sounds nothing wrong.

> The first reboot works well enough, but after I edit sources.list and
> upgrade to full woody, then I get a kernel lockup on subsequent
> reboots at the point of enabling PCMCIA.

Wait.  Did you upgrade kernel too?  What happens if you reboot without
changing sources.list.  Or what happens if you stay with 2.2 kernel.

2.4 pre-compiled kernels (kernel-image) are much more modular than 2.2
counter parts.  You need to do insmod to get them working.  This means
editing /etc/modules by hand before reboot.

> I suppose that I should file a bug report.  Would it be against the
> boot-floppies, PCMCIA, or what?
I think you need to test above first. "Debian reference" also discuss
how to configure 2.4 kernels.

Osamu
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.