Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:29:27 +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Since we started 7, 8 years ago. I've been in Debian almost since the
> beginning ('94 I think it was). It have ALWAYS been our goal. In the
> beginning it was our ONLY goal.

Maybe it was the only goal you cared about (not flaming here - it is a very
valid goal), but it wasn't the project's only goal, as is clear from the
Debian Manifesto.

The project in many ways has its roots in both the success and the failure
of SLS. At that time, SLS (Softlanding Linux System) was the dominant Linux
distribution, and IIRC just about the only one that tried to cater to "end
users". SLS was successful in many ways (it was fairly complete, offering
development tools, X complete with fvwm as a fancy window manager and a TeX
system; it was also reasonably easy to install (even if it took 40
floppies)), but its 1.03 release was plagued by a multitude of relatively
easy to fix bugs (missing files, bad permissions etc.).

There were two clear responses to the problems with SLS 1.03: a distribution
that based itself on SLS called Slackware (which continued SLS's model of a
distribution maintained by a single individual) and an upstart project
called Debian Linux that tried to start from scratch with a development
model in which the distribution is put together by a team.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:47:02 -0500, starner@okstate.edu wrote:
> I would guess that this hasn't been true for a long time, no matter what
> some of the paleocracy may want to believe.

Thank you for not assuming that the paleocracy has a hive mind.

Ray
(tablet-carrying paleocracy member and Debian desktop user since 0.91)
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch