Re: [DB] Selecting preferred database [was: what about Database?]

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 09:26:36AM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Why not simply make a package called pgsql-remote or some such that asks for
> the configuration(s) of the remote server(s) and then add them to the
> list...

That would work for only one direction - for local packages to know
what remote servers are available. But it will not automatically tell
local packages when remote servers gets updated or removed or added.

I don't think the packaging system is a good vehicle for this service,
because in its universe, there is only ever one single machine to worry about.

The issue here is that several machines which potentionally run different
OSes have to communicate state changes somehow. This could be solved by
a decentralized "db instance info service", where nodes participate in
a peer-peer network. But that would raise security issues, because
nodes advertising a db instance should not be able to hijack clients.

But with clever certificate handling, this might even be feasible.

Florian

--
Ben> I don't think anybody has done a Intercal machine yet, since Intercal is
Ben> not exactly the #1 langauge to program in.
Paul> Intel has one, but few seem to want to buy it for some odd reason.
                      -- Ben Franchuk and Paul Repacholi in comp.sys.dec (2002)