Re: This is how packaging should be done.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:20:10AM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> > I don't think there's any desire to have that in the debian archive.
> > (Certainly not by me.) There's nothing stopping you from creating a
> > private archive if that's what you want.
> >
> Well, don't ask why when people like me jump ship (use another distro).

You, quite frankly, are being an idiot.  If you jump ship, I will
certainly not miss a user clamouring for J. Random Skriptkiddie to be able
to put packages in Debian.  Debian only allowing developers to submit
packages is a _feature_, one which helps provide some measure of security.

Would you give me root access to your box?  If you have one of my packages
installed, you already have.  J00 r 50 0wn3d d00d!  Except ... one would
think that being a Debian developer, you could probably trust me not to
intentionally do anything to damage your system.  And being that I do
consider myself a generally honourable person, I would never do so.

I wouldn't, but can you say that about anybody else?  Everybody else?

> > > In contrast, Debian allows only specific people to add new packages
> > > and only the maintainer can fix their packages.  This requires work
> > > by specific people which makes development slow.
> >
> > I disagree. We have very specific reasons for wanting to ensure the
> > quality of packages in the debian archive, but this ensures a better
> > development model, IMHO, not one that is necessarily slower.
> >
> I am all for having quality packages, but that can(but not always)
> take time, and may be a burden on the package maintainer. If the
> current development model for Debian truly is the best, then I
> am glad it is being used. But, in order create something that is
> the best, all options must be considered. I personally think the
> article described what would be the best development model.

I will remind those who are keeping score but don't know the rules of the
game that any Debian developer can fix anybody else's package in the
archive, simply by downloading the source, compiling it with fixes, and
uploading the results.

In fact, I just did so this afternoon.  It wasn't difficult.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>          I swallowed your goldfish

"I am ecstatic that some moron re-invented a 1995 windows fuckup."
        -- Alan Cox