Re: This is how packaging should be done.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 05:37:54AM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> What about the idea that anyone (not just maintainers) can submit
> packages and they will available immediately to others without
> having to go through an intermediate person.

I don't think there's any desire to have that in the debian archive.
(Certainly not by me.) There's nothing stopping you from creating a
private archive if that's what you want.

> In contrast, Debian allows only specific people to add new packages
> and only the maintainer can fix their packages.  This requires work
> by specific people which makes development slow.

I disagree. We have very specific reasons for wanting to ensure the
quality of packages in the debian archive, but this ensures a better
development model, IMHO, not one that is necessarily slower.

--
Mike Stone