[DB] is there a free Oracle API [was Re: what about Database?]

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 12:53:51AM +0200, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> W li?cie z nie, 09-06-2002, godz. 22:03, Florian Weps pisze:
> > On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 08:59:21PM +0200, Florian Weps wrote:
> > >
> > > For one thing, I am currently packaging SQL Relay, a data base
> > > connection proxy.  See bug #119700 for the ITP. The upstream
> > > home page is at <http://firstworks.com> Usable packages
> >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Actually, it's <http://www.firstworks.com/sqlrelay.html>, as
> > Ingo Juergensmann just noticed.
>
> Uhmm... I looked at the page and it seems interesting.
> ATM I am busy with other things, but I'll take a look at sqlrelay
> when I am back to RDBMS related jobs (in a month from now I think).
>
> BTW: I packaged FireBird (
>
> 'apt-cache search firebird' on unstable will tell you the truth ;-)
>
> ) which I suspect You'll need to use to compile code interacting
> with InterBase - if you want the package to go in main (uhh... what
> a mix of licenses). FireBird is 99.9% InterBase 6.0 compatible and
> is based on IB6.0 beta code under MPL-like license.

Great! It's on my TODO list now. But the Java packages are a headache,
and I am afraid that they will have to go into contrib, because they
just refuse to work with free Java tools.

BTW, does anybody know how for example dbishell manages to be in main,
and still have support specifically for oracle?

Florian