Re: possible mass-filing of bugs, continued, script refined: list of packages that apparently have disparity between package name and shared lib soname

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:10:02 +0100
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> In general I think there should be room for sensible maintainers to do
> sensible things even if, say, they don't necessarily fit into a rigid
> naming pattern. There's a fine line between specifying best practice for
> those who don't know better and limiting the discretion of those who do.

There should probably be room for some packages, like
libgl1-related packages, but for most shared library packaging,
the freedom of naming convention is only confusing people.

Seeing that 90% of shared library packages seem to
attach to this convention, it would be better if 100%
attached to this convention.
Considering that most of the remaining packages
which do not follow the convention seem to be the
most troublesome packages.

regards,
	junichi

--