Re: This is how packaging should be done.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:14:11AM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> I was ignorant of that fact.

As I suspected.  You claim you "jump ship" due to this or that wrong with
Debian, and later it is revealed that your at least part of your reasoning
for doing so is uninformed.

> In the article it described a system where anyone could
> contribute non critical packages and they would be available to the
> public immediately.

Try an apt-gettable repository.  File a bug and cite the location of fixed
packages in your report.

> Then, maintainers can, at their leisure, work on the
> package and approve it so that it can be used by users that are only
> willing to use safe packages.

So the big draw of Gentoo is that you can get stuff from Gentoo that is not
necessarily safe?  Sorry, not a really big selling point for me.  I'd rather
live without the ambiguity.  If any non-Debian debs are coming from outside
sources, I'd rather assess the risk and approve installation of each package
source by source (by only adding specific sources to /etc/apt/sources) than
make the blanket statement "well, I don't care if someone uploads crap
packaging or even a trojan, that's just cool by me, because I like bleeding
edge stuff."  If that's the mindset among the subset of Gentoo users who use
these unapproved packages, I think it is foolhardy, and will eventually lead
to abuses that will make them reconsider the sanity of Gentoo's promiscuous
upload policy.

Ben