Re: This is how packaging should be done.

> > There's a reason for that, you know. The idea is that we want to make
> > sure that all debian developers are competent.
> >

>  if (person is a developer) {
>  	person is competent
>  } else {
> 	person is not competent
>  }

if (person is developer) {
	probably competent
} else {
	no idea.
}

Do you see the difference? Nowhere was it said that non-developers are
incompetent. It was said that Debian has no idea how competent they are.

> This is obviously false. I (probably others) are competent enough
> to fix bugs and create new packages.

If you have a fix, you can submit it to the Debian BTS. If the
maintainer is active, he will notice and pick it up, and upload a fixed
package. If he is not, someone (from QA, or from -bugs-dist) will
notice, and NMU.

As for new packages, anyone is free to set up a private repository.