Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

David B Harris <eelf@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Well, Woody will be shipping for XFree 4.1. Even if Sid gets XFree 4.2
> after Woody's release, the chances of Woody getting it thereafter are
> astronomically small.

I know this quite well, but thank you anyway.

> If by "server" you mean something which X terminals connect to, the the
> server doesn't need an X server. It doesn't need a graphics card or
> output device. All it needs it the libraries. The apps will display on
> the terminals, not on the server.

I already explained in a previous message why in some cases where you
want to push Linux somewhere and show that it is not a nightmare to
administer (read: when it's running Debian), it can be useful to have X
run on it. Even if its final intended use is the one of a server.

> If you mean something which people will go and sit down at, like a kiosk
> or something, then one might argue that it isn't a "server". And, at any

Yes, server is a very vague word nowadays.

> rate, there's nothing stopping you from running a more up-to-date
> distribution if that's your need.

But I've had enough pain solving problems on my collegues' Mandrake
dists, so I would prefer having Debian accepted as a reliable and
easier-to-manage distribution in my work environment.

> Or, updating your Debian installation, if that's your want, to include
> some stuff not yet in Debian.

Well, there are a lot of programs you can install in /usr/local. But I
personally consider that you don't have a Debian system any more once
you installed X yourself without the Debian packages. AFAIK, X doesn't
go into /usr/local. So, if you don't know exactly what the install made
to your system, which I don't think I am capable right now, then you
have an LFS, and the problems it implies.

> Your call, nobody's stopping you.

Reason is.

> Debian has a very specific audience. If that audience is unsatisfied,

Debian has a *lot* of packages and is very flexible. So, one could argue
it has a large audience.

> (Let's keep in mind here that Mandrake and Debian do not share the same
> intended primary audience, okay? Regardless of what you may feel.)

Yes, that is why I would prefer not to end up with Mandrake.

And *please*, I did *not* start a "How the f*ck is XFree 4.2 still not
in Debian?" thread. I simply answered someone pretending that freezing
woody forever would have no consequences as one can use it, to make him
realize it had some consequences. That's all. I don't want to troll.

--
Florent