Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

Apologies in advance for responding to flamebait.

On 08 Jun 2002 23:53:37 +0200
Florent Rougon <florent.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> Yeah, great, I like this principle too. There is a least one problem,
> though: some important packages, say XFree 4.2, are said to be waiting
> for woody's release. I know about several cases where this will imply

Well, Woody will be shipping for XFree 4.1. Even if Sid gets XFree 4.2
after Woody's release, the chances of Woody getting it thereafter are
astronomically small.

> (because of the graphics adapters support in 4.2) a Mandrake
> distribution being installed on a server[1] instead of a Debian
> [1] Well, a machine on which several users will log into and run X
>     programs, among others

If by "server" you mean something which X terminals connect to, the the
server doesn't need an X server. It doesn't need a graphics card or
output device. All it needs it the libraries. The apps will display on
the terminals, not on the server.

If you mean something which people will go and sit down at, like a kiosk
or something, then one might argue that it isn't a "server". And, at any
rate, there's nothing stopping you from running a more up-to-date
distribution if that's your need.

Or, updating your Debian installation, if that's your want, to include
some stuff not yet in Debian.

Your call, nobody's stopping you.

> importantly, we are losing potential users.

Debian has a very specific audience. If that audience is unsatisfied,
then yeah, we've got a problem. But I don't think that's the case.

(Let's keep in mind here that Mandrake and Debian do not share the same
intended primary audience, okay? Regardless of what you may feel.)

\ David B. Harris, Systems administrator   |   http://www.terrabox.com /
/  eelf@sympatico.ca, elf@terrabox.com     |     http://eelf.ddts.net  \
/ Clan Barclay motto: Aut agere, aut mori.  (Either action, or death.) \