Re: Proposal for fixing automake

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 04:12:53AM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > > are basically compatible, and are certainly more compatible then 1.4
> > > and 1.5. The reason we *might* want to keep 1.5 around is that it
> > > still works with autoconf 2.13, whereas 1.6 needs autoconf 2.52 or
> > > greater.
> >
> > Nuke 1.5, fix the packages to work with both autoconf 2.50 and automake
> > 1.6.  Call it good.
>
> I agree that within debian it would desirable to do that, but some
> users might be peeved they can't use automake 1.5 anymore...

Tough.  ;)

Seriously though, automake 1.5 never really caught on because unless you
were using autoconf 2.50+ you were basically asking for trouble.  I'd be
more concerned with users who want to use autoconf 1.4 for packages
outside of Debian which don't work with anything later.  It's simply
unreasonable for Debian to maintain three seperate versions of automake
for two versions of autoconf until the end of time because someone,
somewhere out there may have a package which requires a non-1.4 automake
setup which doesn't support autoconf 2.50+.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>     You expected a coherent reply?

<Flood> netgod: I also have a "Evil Inside" T-shirt (w/ Intel logo).. on
        the back it states: "When the rapture comes, will you have root?"