Re: chroot in /usr and initrd booting

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:45:13PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 03:32:57AM +0200, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> > In short, when booting an initrd, after the pivot_root a chroot has to
> > be done into the new root.  If /usr is on a separate partition, chroot
> > isn't available, boot fails.
>
> With what kernels must you do a chroot after pivot_root?  On systems
> where I'm using pivot_root + Linux 2.4.18, I only have to do 'cd /'.

I'm just going by the Documentation/initrd.txt in the Linux sources
(I looked in 2.4.18 here).  pivot_root(1) also recommends a chroot.

In any case much is implementation defined (like whether the shell's
root is implicitly changed), so it's better to stick to the protocol.
It might change, and a simple cd might not be sufficient anymore.

Anyway, can you umount the initrd if you only did a 'cd /'?

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44