Re: Is dh_install doesn't rm the files?

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Shaul Karl wrote:
> > According to the dh_movefiles man page,
> >
> >     dh_install is a much better program that can do everything this
> >     one can, and more'.
> >
> > Yet with dh_install I was only able to cp -a files without the addition
> > of rm them out of their current place.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> Well ok, it can do everything dh_movefiles can do except for deleting
> the files it moves. The only time I can see that you'd want to do that
> is if you want to make sure you move _everything_. I already have a
> wishlist bug to that effect, I think; I've not decided how I want to
> deal with it yet.

By coincidence, I came up against this today!

`make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/packagename` installed everything in
one tree, and I had to move ome files over tothe -dev package.
I eneded up doing it by hand since dh_install didn't move but only copy.

So count this as a vote for the ability to move!  :-)

Peter