Re: My galeon package chaos...

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 18:10, Erich Schubert wrote:
> Hi Jared (CC: debian-devel, to apologize for my mess)
>
> I guess i won't update galeon any more the next weeks... i've done so
> many errors, i should concentrate more on other stuff first, then return
> to Debian work... The most urgent things with galeon should be fixed now.
> (last uploaded package by me was 1.2.3-6)
>
> I hope you have time to take care of the package now. At least when the
> security updates for woody are being built you should try to get a clean
> galeon package into woody.

hey, thanks for all your hard work on this package.  You've really done
more than I have for the package, I must say.  If you hadn't been
working out bugs and creating new bugs and working them out over the
past couple of days, I would have had to do the same myself, and perhaps
I would have taken longer.  Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Don't worry, though, I do have the time to keep Galeon going.  I would
have been doing so over the past couple of days, but I simply wasn't
paying attention to galeon and didn't see that there was a problem :)

Acouple questions I'd like to put to you and to debian-devel:

Regarding the galeon/galeon-nautilus dependancies on galeon-common,
shouldn't we simply use Depends: galeon-common (= ${Source-Verson})?

And, regarding the problem with the postinst and dpkg's tendancy to be
screwed up by /usr/share/doc/galeon|galeon-nautilus's transition from a
directory to a symlink:  would it help to have current versions of
galeon Replace versions where /usr/share/doc/galeon|galeon-nautilus
were a directory?

> There's some _very_ weird bug with the packages though:
> i just tried to install my packages; this failed:
> somehow /etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas was missing.
> But the file _is_ in the package!
> When i --purge the package and install it then it works.
> But i had to purge it first, before i can install the package.
> Most probably this is dpkg conffile related; but i do not know how the
> file was lost...  This happened the second time for me; but i don't know
> how to reproduce it...  Any idea?

I'll ponder this tomorrow, i have to go see somebody in the hospital
tonight :)

Thanks again for all your help, I'll continue to work on these issues
with the help of the many developers that have a vested interest in the
quality of galeon packaging :)

--
Jared Johnson
solomon@futureks.net