Re: How do I install woody on 160 GB harddisk on KT333 chipset?

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:00:29AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> * Matt Zimmerman
> | I don't know much about d-i yet.  Would I start by providing udebs
> | of the EVMS tools?  What about the GUI?  Is graphical installation
> | support planned?
>
> udebs would be a great start, I don't know what amount of kernel modules
> and similar it needs.

At the present time, it requires a patch to common kernel code, in addition
to loadable modules.

>   The UI will be cdebconf which works just the same way as debconf to the
>   normal user programs.  Hopefully, we'll have a graphical installation,
>   but that requires that somebody actually implements a graphical frontend
>   to cdebconf.  That is on my TODO list, but nowhere near the top.

There are a few ways to go about this.  We could build a cdebconf interface
around the EVMS CLI, and construct a very basic setup based on user
configuration tools.  If a graphical environment is available, the GUI would
be appropriate, otherwise the ncurses or CLI.  I think that making use of
the EVMS tools would provide maximum flexibility, but a simple
question-based configuration dialog would make it easy for a user to get up
and running with minimal knowledge of EVMS.

--
 - mdz